Trash and Recycling Services Provider
The City of Pleasant Hill contracts with Municipal Waste Services (MWS) for trash and recycling services. Residences are provided with weekly trash collection using an automated trash collection system. Each household is provided a trash cart and a recycling cart to use for their household's disposal.
The City bills all residents for this service including residents in Water District 5. Please contact City Hall to establish trash service.
Pleasant Hill City Hall
Issues regarding service can be directed to the City or MWS.
The City utilizes a zoned method of collection.
The City has a map outlining the collection dates. All residences along 7 Highway will be picked up on Tuesdays. If you have other questions about your collection day, contact City Hall at 816-540-3135.
Five holidays affect the residential trash pick up schedule:
New Year's Day
On those weeks the schedule is the same up to the day of the holiday; and then for the remainder of the week after the holiday the pickup service is delayed one day.
The City's contract with MWS includes the following:
- Regular, weekly residential solid waste collection
- A residential solid waste receptacle
- Regular, weekly commingled recycling excluding glass
- A residential recycling receptacle
- Bulky Item collection once a month for each customer
- Monthly yard waste, leaf and brush curbside collection
- Annual Christmas tree curbside pickup
Residential Curbside Recycling
Commingled curbside service is available on regular trash days.
Recyclable items include Plastics #1-5 and #7, newspapers including inserts, magazines, catalogues, telephone books, brown paper bags, office paper, computer papers, notebook paper, chipboard (cereal, cake, mix, gift boxes), carrier stock (soda cases), paperback books, cardboard, aluminum and metal food cans, aluminum trays, foil, steel cans, and tins.
Items that cannot be accepted at this time are glass, plastic bags, motor oil, automotive product bottles, household hazardous waste containers, Styrofoam, hot ashes or cinders, shrub trimmings, yard trimmings, tree trunks or limbs, street sweepings, catch basin mulch, construction materials, appliances, large furniture, nothing with Freon or hazardous waste.
A glass recycling bin is located in the Price Chopper Parking Lot (2101 N. State Route 7)
More information can be found at www.recyclespot.org
Bulky item pickup is available free of charge once per month for residential customers. These items include items other than normal household trash including, but not limited to, furniture and other items which cannot be safely and conveniently loaded into a solid waste transportation vehicle.
Excluded items are: appliances, concrete, bricks, large vehicle parts, tires, abandoned cars, whole trees, and construction materials.
Contact City Hall or MWS directly to inform them of your bulky item prior to setting it at the curb.
MWS will do additional bulky item pick-ups with prior scheduling. Additional fees will apply paid directly to MWS
Appliances (washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, etc.) may be picked up by MWS with prior scheduling; however these pickups will be subject to additional charges billed directly from MWS.
Please contact MWS directly to schedule this pickup.
Residents have two options for yard waste disposal.
- Curbside Pickup
Curbside yard waste pickup takes place on the first collection day of each month.
- Drop Off Facilities
Yard waste can be dropped off for a fee per bag at the following nearby locations.
WCA Transfer Station
22820 S. State Rte 291 Hwy
Harrisonville, MO 64701
Hours: M-F 8a-5p; Sat. 8a-12p
Lee's Summit Resource Recovery Park
2101 SE Hamblen Rd
Lee's Summit, MO 64082
Hours: M-Sat 8a-3p
Branches should be tied with twine or rope into bundles not exceeding 4 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter. Leaves and small limbs should be placed in biodegradable bags. Dirt, rock, glass, and logs greater than 2 inches in diameter will not be accepted as yard waste for curbside pick up. Curbside yard waste should be placed in a spot that is easily visible from the curb and should not be blocked by the trash or recycling bins.
- MWS uses an automated vehicle. This means that the truck will use an arm on the side of the truck to pick up containers and dump into the vehicle. For this reason, it is important that all carts are free from anything that may hinder this operation, for example: cars, mailboxes, trees, etc.
- Place trash carts on one side of the driveway and the recycle cart/bin on the opposite side of the driveway. Tuesday collection customers should place yard waste on the same side of the driveway as the recycle cart.
- If there is no room to place on either side of the driveway, please leave at least 2 feet of room between carts/bins.
- Place all items inside of furnished containers.
- Please have all items at the curb for collection by 7:00 a.m.